Saturday 29 June 2019

Wibsey Park Chapel Cricket Club

Welcome to the official website of Great Horton Park Chapel CC. During the winter of 2014 the merger of Wibsey Park Chapel CC and Great Horton CC took place, the result being the creation of Great Horton Park Chapel CC.

The club's cricketing activities resemble those of Wibsey Park Chapel CC, with all 3 teams playing in the Spencer Wilson Halifax League. Two teams in the Saturday section and one in the Sunday section.

All 3 teams now play their home games at Ewart Street, formerly the home of Great Horton CC, with Park Avenue no longer on the list of retained grounds.


The Cricket History of Calderdale & Kirklees, offers another answer.

Dark clouds were approaching again, so on I went intending first to visit Girlington in the Bradford Central League, but I got sidetracked. As I was passing the old Bradford Park Avenue ground, once a regular home for Yorkshire County cricket club, I saw an amazing sight. I was aware that cricket was still being played on the ground by Wibsey Park Chapel, now also members of the Halifax League. What I didn't know was that a giant mosque, with four huge turrets and a golden dome had been erected just across the road from the old football ground. I realised straight away that this was a marvellous photo opportunity to get a picture of the cricket from the old pavilion end, with play in progress and the giant mosque in the background. Before I could do this however,I bumped into an old friend of mine, George Abbey, the patron saint of Park Avenue. George now 85 has watched cricket here for most of his life and has been presented with a cap which says 'Wibsey Park Chapel number one supporter'. Needless to say he is the only one.


No comments:

Post a Comment