Saturday 20 October 2018

Mike Brearley

You can tell that Mike Brearley has a book out, (Mike Brearley on cricket) he has been appearing all over the place.

I caught part of an interview with Gary Richardson on Sportsweek last Sunday.
Very good interview, along with the interview with Kevin Keegan, is at the time of writing is available for download.

I also downloaded the Test Match Special podcast which also included an interview with Mike Brearley.

In a discussion following Eoin Morgan's comments about potentially dropping himself, due to lack of form, I was surprised that Mike only played 39 test matches, given his success as an England captain. He was brutally honest about not scoring enough test runs, (I never scored enough runs) he never scored a test 100, but did score approximately 25,000 first class runs.

The part that really caught my interest was his comments on society in general, aligned with cheating in cricket. It is something that I have already commented on in my book. (editting still on going) 

Gary - Why do people cheat in sport?

Mike - I'm afraid to say that people tend to go close to the mark in all areas of life, they cheat in finance, they cheat on their wives, they cheat this way and that and everyone has a certain narcism who wants to be successful. I'm afraid that there is always going to be a tendency towards it in small, usually small ways, it's pretty shocking isn't it?


However, as with DHL, this doesn't make it acceptable.



No comments:

Post a Comment