Wednesday 30 January 2019

DHL & Silence Of The Grave (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries Book 2)


Hi - I'm reading "Silence Of The Grave (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries Book 2)" by Arnaldur Indridason, Bernard Scudder and wanted to share this quote with you.

"Erlendur read the message.
“Dave got an Icelander or a soldier who spoke Icelandic to write the note for him.
Mum always kept it, and, of course, I’ll take it to the grave with me.”
Erlendur looked at the note.
Although written in clumsy capitals, the words were very clear.
I KNOW WHAT HE DOES TO YOU.
“Mum and Dave talked about her contacting him as soon as my stepfather got out of prison, and he would come to help her. I don’t know the exact arrangements.”
“Couldn’t anyone at Gufunes help her?” Elínborg asked.
“Plenty of people must have worked there.”
Mikkelína looked at her.
“My mother had suffered abuse at his hands for a decade and a half. It was physical violence, he beat her, often so brutally that she was bedridden for days afterwards. And it was psychological too, which was maybe a worse form of violence because, as I told Erlendur yesterday, it reduced my mother to nothing. She started to despise herself as much as her husband despised her; she thought for a long time of suicide, but partly because of us, her children, she never went further than contemplating it. Dave made up for some of this in the six months he spent with her, and he was the only person she could have asked for help. She never mentioned to anyone what she’d been through in all those years and I think she was prepared to suffer the beatings again if need be. At worst he’d attack her and everything would be back to normal.”
Mikkelína looked at Erlendur.
“Dave never came.”
She looked at Elínborg.
“And nothing went back to normal.”

Start reading it for free: http://amzn.eu/6fjl3ct
--------
Download Kindle for Android, iOS, PC, Mac and more http://amzn.to/1WLoAkB

Psychological violence - That's a win for DHL

No comments:

Post a Comment